Sunday, November 14, 2010

Vancouver Part II

The next day I bump into another woman from the tour, Claudia, and I find out that she’s catching the ferry over to Vancouver Island today and would I like a lift with her. For the last several days I’ve been trying to work out a way of getting over there to try and see my Cousin Nigel and his family and here, part of the solution presents itself. I gladly accept her offer, with the proviso that we go and explore Stanley Park with another woman from the tour, Astrid, before heading out in the afternoon. Works for me. Stanley Park is kind of the equivalent to our Kings Park, but more foresty, surrounded by water on 3 sides, and containing racoons.

It was a great walk but I was excited by the prospect of getting over to the Island. Claudia and I head out, with the ferry taking a few hours to dock at Sidney, a book lovers paradise. Unfortunately all the stores are closed by the time we get there but we grab a coffee and work on our plan of attack. There’s a chance for me to catch a ferry back to the hostel but then the whole point of coming to the island would not have been achieved. And that would be to go to… The Centre of The Universe!!! Dun dun dunnn!!! Claudia offers to share her room at the inn she is staying at in the next town over (Victoria) and I accept. Having only met this woman the other day, why not hey? We then decide to grab fish n chips for dinner (best I’ve ever had, baked salmon with sweet potato wedges) and head over to the observatory otherwise known as The Centre of the Universe.

We have a great time learning all about Saturn, and then a viewing of the planetarium which was AMAZING! And slightly vertigo inducing. Followed by a meander through the actual observatory with the massive telescope which is still in use although its about 2oo years old. Oh, and it turns out that my Uncle, David is also visiting the Island for that weekend and can actually pick me up the next morning from Victoria. Brilliant! Talk about having Karma on my side.
With a clean shower and a good nights rest I am prepared for what the following day has in store for me… Waffles with the family :)
David picks me up bright and early, and we make our way to the very isolated town of Shawnigan Lake, where Nigel, his wife and two kids live. We also get the chance to visit a friend of Steve’s (a friend of David’s) who literally built his own home, owns both a helicopter and a biplane, plus a vintage car from [insert era here]. We hear about how he crashed his helicopter and survived to tell the tale, and are given a very speedy test drive in his beaut car.
Then its off to Nigel’s house, to catch up with Gillian the wife, and the two kids, Liam and Ethan, the incredible 1 yr old who could easily pull off being several years older. That kid has amazing motor control for his age, quite easily managing any physical obstacle, including the trampoline. He was also kind enough to keep me supplied with marshmallows :)

David was also nice enough to take me to the internationally prestigious boarding school that Nigel works at. Head of the science department actually but whos gloating here? The place is ab-so-lute-ly amazing! Nearly equivalent to living at Hogwarts, but less magic, and more ducks.

Making our way back to the house, we go all out in celebrating Nigels 40th birthday (talk about good timing) with a delicious ice cream cake. The kids are certainly happy. A quick goodbye and David then rushes me to Nanaimo to catch my ferry back to mainland Vancouver. Would be nice to finally have a clean pair of clothes and to brush my teeth :)
I get back to downtown Vancouver and on my walk back to the hostel, I end up being taped as an extra on a car advert. How cool is that!! They don’t just say that Vancouver is Hollywood North for nothing you know.

Ok, back at the hostel I pack in preparation for my flight the next morning and the next leg of the saga… Kimberley. This recount however, shall have to wait till I find time while sailing on the SV Florette around the south coast of Italy :) Ok ok, I’m several months behind schedule in updating my blog, but I’m getting there!

No comments:

Post a Comment